Saturday, May 17, 2008

Interactive Media: How Far Can We Go

Ugh, finals are done. I've finished packing and moving out. Past the grueling ordeals of the airport and its prodigious delays. Its game time... video-game time.

I think in light of the recent boom in the video-game industry, the term "interactive media" has gained a new significance. It describes mediums of entertainment that engage users on more than just a aesthetic or vicarious level. Lately, I've been thinking about the applications of "interactive media" and how they can effect the future of the gaming world.

Recently, I finished the Call of Duty 4 single player campaign ( I know, I know... but better late than never, eh?). To be transparent as a pizza grease napkin, I was fucking blown away by the cinematic value and the depth of the story. Though it was a bit short, the campaign drew me in and engaged me on a level that had never really clicked with me before. Even my room-mates were stunned watching while I played. They wanted to know how it ended. Thats how engaged they were in it. This brings me to my point, a new genre of video games that emphasize story and cinematic value first. A wave of movie-games... a new "interactive media."

Think about the possibilities. Some game developers have already started releasing games with an episodic type format with each adventure its own independent and self-contained story, yet still flowing with the greater vision of the game. Telltale Games has done this with their cult-classic psychotic (naked?) bunny and noir canine Sam and Max with a gushing response. Movie or tv-show type games with an emphasis on interactivity could be the next step. Movie/Games bought on-demand to be expierienced and watched by an audience, not just to be
played alone... in your room... with half empty Mountain Dews littering your desk.

There are some flaws with my new vision for the future. To mention, development time, costs of a full professional screen-writer staff, continuity issues for different outcomes in say a television series format, and target audiences, but hey, wouldn't you want to play the chase scenes in the Bourne Ultimatum?

No comments: